Hi Friends! Due to the feedback I’ve received regarding getting healthy and not quite knowing where to start, I will be conducting a FREE 7-Day Slim Down Challenge that will start when we get back from Labor Day weekend. This challenge will be a private Facebook group that will include a grocery shopping list, daily meal plans, exercise tips, motivation, and more. The intention is to get you started and on the right track for success! My passion for healthy living is just the beginning, motivating others and setting expectations for success will be the GOAL here. Please message me if you are interested in joining and/or have a think about it in the meantime, I will be posting a few more times before we get started. Cheers to Mindful Healthy Living!
If you’ve never tried Shakeology, let alone heard of it, you are likely wondering what it is and does it work? Shakeology is a meal replacement and also known as your daily dose of dense nutrition. After many mornings of making my own shakes, spending tons of money on fresh fruits and vegetables, omega fatty acids, probiotics, chia seeds, and anything else that I thought was good for me to throw in a shake, I decided to give Shakeology a try.
Here are my experiences with it in the last 10 days:
- It’s WAY more convenient. I blend a scoop of Shakeology, crushed ice, frozen fruit and water into my nutribullet. It takes me a total of 3 minutes from start to finish, including washing out the blender cup and blades. Easy peezy!
- NO more coffee! This was so much easier giving up with a load of vitamins to recover from the side effects of no coffee. After 2 days, I had no headaches and was feeling good.
- I notice an increase in energy, specifically after hard workouts. Prior to drinking Shakeology, I would have intense, hour long workouts and feel completely fatigued the entire day. I have now incorporated a half a shake pre-workout and the other half post-workout and I feel energetic the entire day, no signs of fatigue like I use to feel.
- I have lost 2 pounds total. Weight loss hasn’t been my intention but rather feeding my body dense nutrition and feeling great is; a small decrease in my weight is just an added bonus. J
- It’s filling. Shakeology can be used for breakfast, lunch, dinner or for a snack. I have been using it as my breakfast and I drink it at 7:15 in the morning and I don’t feel hungry or need a snack until about 10:30 am. Of course this is going to be different for everybody and depending on your activity level but this is my experience.
- Improved digestion and regularity. I have never been that great with “regularity”. In the last 10 days, I have been regular every day and have seen significant improvement on this front.
- I am sleeping through the night! This is huge for me; I have always been a terrible sleeper. I am now averaging at least 7 hours of sleep a night.
I would encourage you to check out the nutrition facts and what’s in Shakeology, all the information is posted on the website and you can find it here.
Next stop is the 3-Day Refresh cleanse that I am really looking forward to! Stayed tuned for the results!
“Contemplating our food for a few seconds before eating, and eating in mindfulness, can bring us much happiness” Thich Nhat Hanh
Mindless eating can lead to poor food choices, often foods high in sugar and fat and allow us to become disconnected with what we are eating and how it makes us feel. If we just take time before we eat our meals and become mindful of what we are putting in our bodies we can really start to make that mind/body connection. The intent here is to slow down, enjoy the taste, digest and metabolize all those wonderful nutrients you are eating. Learning what this feels like and practicing it in your everyday life is so important.
I challenge you today, and every other day, to be mindful of the foods you are eating and how it makes you feel. Keeping a daily journal can be a very helpful exercise in making this an everyday habit.
Cheers to Mindful, Healthy Living!
There are over 100 dietary theories out there to complement each and every one of you; however, the most important part of any diet is to understand that no one diet will work for everyone. The food that I eat and that works for me may be considered another one’s poison and vice versa. You need to find what works for you. Whether it’s Paleo, Aruvedya, Atkins, Gluten Free, Blood Type, 90/10, etc, it needs to be unique to you and your body!
Being educated on these dietary theories has really helped in understanding what will work best for me and my lifestyle. It is a work in progress but the best thing about it is that I get to experiment with new foods and more importantly learn how to listen to my body. Listening to my bodies’ needs and responses has been a pivotal change in my life. Overloading myself with carbs/processed food/junk often times leaves me feeling bloated, sick and unhappy with my food choices. This may happen frequently with many of us and although it’s not an easy transition to incorporating better eating habits, it can be a very rewarding change.
The diet that seems to work for me and fits my schedule the majority of the time is the 90/10 diet, which means you eat clean 90% of the time and whatever you want the rest of the time, leaving room for those certain cravings you just can’t resist. Clean Eating means consuming whole, natural, unprocessed foods. Below are a few simple guidelines for Clean Eating success.
1. Eat small frequent meals 5-6 times per day to level blood sugar and prevent hunger
2. Include fruits, vegetables, lean protein, complex carbohydrates and heart healthy fats in your daily consumption
3. Avoid processed and/or refined foods (sugar, baked goods, candies, white flour, white rice, etc)
4. Avoid high saturated and trans fats
5. Avoid sodas, high calorie juices and other drinks that give your body no nutritional value and lots of unnecessary (unwanted) calories
6. Avoid high calorie, non nutritious foods (i.e. junk food)
7. Drink at least 8 cups of water per day
If eating this way is a new concept, it may take some practice and commitment to eating clean. For me, it has been a gradual process over the last few years and it is still a work in progress, however, the improvements such as weight loss, improved energy, and overall happiness and wellness has been life changing.
The best thing about it is that there are so many satisfying ways to make “clean” food taste good. Whether it’s using herbs, spices, or homemade marinades, there are ways to satisfy your taste buds. Even sweets…which I will make sure I blog about and provide you with some healthy sweet treat recipes, which I know can be a downfall for many of us, including myself!
Now, all this being said and as I mentioned earlier in this posting, this way of eating may not work for all of you and that’s ok but it’s a great place to start and figure out what works best for you specifically. If you are interested in any particular dietary theories, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will be happy to provide you with the details including pros and cons of the diet itself in a helpful way that is easy to understand.