Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Here’s what I will be making for dinner tonight, a recipe that is packed full of nutrients and tastes so delicious. It can be easily modified as well for those following a vegan diet. Makes a great entrée!
• 1 tablespoon olive oil (or other oil if you prefer)
• ½ onion, peeled and diced
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
• 1-2 egg(s), beaten (optional for vegan diet)
• ½ zucchini, diced*
• ½ cup of green peppers, diced*
• ½ cup of red peppers, diced*
• ½ cup of button mushrooms, sliced*
• 2 cups cooked long grain brown rice
• 3 tablespoons shoyu**
• 1/3 cup of water
• sea salt to taste
• ½ pound of chicken or tofu, chopped (optional for vegan diet)
• 2 scallions, minced
*You can use any array of vegetables you would like (other options that taste well are peas, broccoli, corn, etc).
** Shoyu is a dark brown soy sauce made from soybeans that have been naturally fermented; contains wheat. This can be found in most grocery stores.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté onion and garlic for approximately 2-3 minutes. Add in remaining vegetables and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add egg and mix until cooked. Add sea salt for taste. Add cooked rice, shoyu and water to pan mixture. Cover and steam for 3-4 minutes. Garnish with scallions.
Cheers to healthy cooking!
4 thoughts on “Chicken “Fried” Rice!”
Pingback: Mexican Rice | cookingwithsapana
Why do you allow soy sauce if it contains wheat?Aware of healthier option?
Good question! Although shoyu and many other soy sauces are not wheat free, the gluten seem to be no longer present in the final product. There are, however, certified gluten and wheat free soy sauces available that are made from rice. Check out this one here:
Thank you Lacey.